2012 Membership Campaign
Thank you for your support of the Billy DeFrank LGBT Community Center.
This email is one of the very few times per year that we contact our past donors and patrons asking for your support. The distribution list for this email is separate from any newsletter subscriptions you may have with the Center.
The rest of this email provides a quick update regarding the Center. Please read at your leisure but consider becoming a 2012 member or making a donation now!
Your Board of Directors
Christopher Flood – President
Greg Belaus – Vice President and Membership Chair
Fred Carter – Treasurer
2011 In Review
· Nori Herras was hired as a new employee. She is doing a wonderful job as our HIV Testing Coordinator.
· We received $17,000 from the Horizons foundation for the Vintage program. In addition to helping pay for lunches, this money is also used as a small stipend for our contracted part-time Senior Program Coordinator, Marilyn Bobbin.
· The above two positions are the Center’s only paid staff positions. The rest of the Center, including the Board of Directors, is entirely run by volunteers. Through the hard work and dedication of these volunteers we have not had to cut any programs. Thankfully, we are happy to report that as many people use the Center today as at any other time in our history.
· We are financially stable and have weathered the worst of the economic downturn. Through your generous donations, we are saving our pennies for some capital improvements, including a much needed new roof. Contrary to popular belief, most of the Center’s income is from private donations and facility rentals. Grants are difficult to obtain. During this year we also completed independent audits of our books from the past few years. Additionally, we continue to contract with the Health Trust for our bookkeeping services.
· We received $5000 from The Health Trust for additional HIV testing and supplies.
· BINGO is back in full swing at the Center. We took the summer off to regroup and re-permit with the City. Thanks to all the volunteers that worked hard to make this happen.
· We are now open to the public six days a week, Monday-Saturday.
· The Library is now a full lending library and regularly holds book signing and special events. We are currently in the thick of transforming our library into a more modern and viable resource for our Community. Along with having a new cataloging system where patrons can search/browse for their favorite books and/or DVDs in the comfort of their own homes, they will now be able to check out items for up to 3 weeks (1 week for DVDs). Our current goal is to increase our book and media collection through fundraising, charitable donations and continuous community support. Come visit us and promote your library by contributing to the growth of our collection.
· Through a generous donation from the David Bohnett foundation (www.bohnettfoundation.org), we have new computers in the library that are getting substantial use.
· Sadly, we lost our Board Treasurer, Patrick McAtee, as well as other volunteers and members. In their memory we continue to thank them all for their wonderful contributions to the Center. They are all terribly missed.
HIV Testing Program: As mentioned above, we are proud to have Nori at the helm of this important program and Community Resource. Nori is fully trained in all the county requirements and has a wonderful rapport with all of her clients. Details on this program can be found on the HIV testing page of our website.
Youth Program: In collaboration with Family and Children’s services (another non-profit), we continue to offer our youth program (www.defrankyouthspace.org) for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and ally youth and young adults ages 13-25, living in Santa Clara County. This tremendously successful program provides a safe space for the youth in our Community. Certified counselors are available to address the particular needs of participants.
· Website (www.defrank.org): The place for the latest information about what is going on at the Center and in our Community.
· Facebook (www.facebook.com/billydefrank): We have almost 2000 supporters of our social community page. This is also the place to look for late breaking information or to post your support of the Center.
· Newsletter: Click HERE to add yourself to our bi-monthly newsletter. There is also an option to subscribe to our Vintage and Volunteer lists. You can opt-out at any time.
· Location: 938 The Alameda, San Jose, CA 95126
o Monday: 6p-9p
o Tuesday: 12p-9p
o Wednesday: 10a-9p
o Thursday: 12p-9p
o Friday: 12p-9p
o Saturday: 10a-4p
o Sunday: Open for scheduled events only
o Holidays: Closed
· Phone: 408 293-3040